Managing Yourself And Others To Improve Well-being, Engagement And Productivity
We all face adversity at some point in our lives where we find ourselves in situations that test our resilience. How we manage our emotions and mindset in those situations determines our success and overall well-being.
Leaders in particular need to master emotion regulation strategies—the ability to maintain clarity of thought and make smart decisions under pressure, as well as to reassure employees with a sense of calm and control amidst uncertainty and fear.
Research from the fields of neuroscience and psychology have long shown that uncertainty about the future, for instance, activates a strong threat response in our limbic system. When we’re worried about our health, our families, and our livelihoods, our brains respond by releasing the stress hormone cortisol, which impairs our analytic thinking, creative insight and problem-solving abilities. We literally can’t think straight and as a result find it difficult to effectively communicate and collaborate with others, not to mention maintain optimal levels of productivity.
In this webinar, New York Times bestselling author and executive coach Harrison Monarth will share insights from his coaching work with global leaders on gaining greater awareness of emotional triggers and on practicing emotion regulation strategies that build resilience and strengthen the ability to respond productively in challenging situations.
Harrison will draw from the work of Stanford University Professor Dr. James Gross, considered the ‘father’ of emotion regulation, as well as his own research on Executive Presence and the specific leadership behaviors that can instill confidence and trust in times of uncertainty and volatility. He’ll discuss how leaders can help employees regain a sense of psychological safety and optimism in difficult times, to improve well-being, engagement and productivity.
In this highly engaging session you will learn:
- How emotions are generated in sequence
- The neural activations involved during times of uncertainty and stress
- Science-based emotion regulation strategies that maximize effectiveness in pressure situations
- A powerful re-framing technique to neutralize negative emotions
- A proven behavioral change tool that can help develop positive new habits quickly
- How to coach others to develop emotional resilience and practice emotion regulation strategies
- Leadership micro-behaviors that create psychological safety in others
- How to instill a sense of optimism about the future to lift spirits and create engagement